Home of The French Marketplace

La joie c'est le partage
{ the joy is in the sharing }

Monday, June 22, 2009

A Tisket, A Tasket, A Cute Little Basket...and...I Need Your Advice

Okay...the advice first. I really need it!! I found this set of two adorable cherubs at the flea market and I purchased them with the intent of painting them white. I brought them home and then kind of liked their original color so I left them as is for awhile. That was about 4 months ago and now I'm back to wanting to paint them again. So what do you think? Do you think they would look better a creamy, antiqued white or left in their original gold leaf (sort of) look? I need help - I don't know what I should do with them.

Okay, now here is the second item up for opinion! My mom rescued this old, and I mean really old, chair from the curb and she gave it to me knowing how I love old tattered things. I have re-covered the seat with blue and white ticking stripe fabric and again, don't know whether to leave the wood as is or paint it creamy white. I don't know what my problem is, I never used to be this indecisive when it comes to painting furniture. I used to just paint it, no question! But now, I really need help deciding. Please, please, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think. I'm begging!

Now to the cute basket...I was perusing the Salvation Army again with my mom and found this wonderful basket that is perfect for holding bread out on the counter top. I love it because the bread is easily accessible for making sandwiches but it's kind of hidden too!

I love old baskets. There are so many creative uses for them and they just look pretty. Plus, they seem to be very easy to find and very inexpensive too at the flea markets. So economical in these times!

Enjoy your day and please, please, please let me know what you think about the painting. (uh oh, I'm begging again)

xo,

Kathleen

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would definitely paint the chair creamy white - maybe antique it a bit so the details stood out.

I think I'd also paint the cherubs a creamy color. You could always paint them gold again if you decide you didn't like the color.

The Tattered Cottage said...

I just picked up an antique gold lamp with beautiful floral and leaf detail with crystals. I am going to paint it white because the gold color, although pretty, is too heavy for my decor. I would paint the cherubs white and also the chair since you have already added the blue and white ticking stripe to the chair. Adding a little antique to both will bring out their details.
Toni

Fabulously French said...

I have to agree with Lisa and Toni, I woulg also paint the cherubs white and do teh same to the chair but distress them a little to make them look a little worn.

Bonne semaine,

Leeann x

Blue Muse said...

Hi Kathleen! Great finds and gifts! If it were me, I'd leave the cherubs the color that they are and patina them with some mossy green and stick some drippy gorgeous plant up top!
The chair, I'd definitely paint and distress.
That's what I would do!
Love that basket, and now I want bread!
xo Isa

Maison Douce said...

I get those dilemmas all the time!!! I would leave the chair as is, the wood is charmingly old, but I would paint the cherubs... But I would use a dry brush (soak the brush then remove the excess paint) so you can still see some of the gold under...!! Keep us posted!!
Isabel

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Hi there,
This is Jackie from Home-biba.blogspot.com/ I am new to this so bear with me !! First of all, I wish I could find a chaie like that by the side of the road !! I think that I would paint the chair to bring out the lovely detail at the top, but distress it a little. I do believe that having EVERYTHING white isn't always a good idea so, position your cherubs (with the drippy plant ) and see what you think. You can always paint it if you don't think it's right.LOL

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Cute chair, cute cherubs,..Cute painted!!! No problem there...!!!xoxo~Kathy@ Sweet Up-North Mornings... Whites, or the palest of colors, yummy...

JenW!~ said...

All great finds but I would have to say paint the Cherubs a creamy color and the chair white. Gold leafing is just not my style. And like the rest have said you can repaint if you don't like it.

GrannySmithGreen said...

O.k., here's my 10 cents worth: don't paint the cherub compote, DO paint the chair, don't paint the basket--well, that one may not have been in the mix, but my opinion anyway--for what it's worth!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

I love all of the things that you showed today!!! I wouldn't paint anything...both pieces will work in any environment the way that they are. You can always lighten them up with the way you display them. However...it is all a matter of taste...go with what your heart is telling you!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!
XOXO
Cathy

Teresa said...

I would paint both the chair and the cherubs white and rub a little antiquing gel into the folds. Great pieces!

Seawashed said...

Paint them both...shabby, distressed antique white!

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

PAINT!!! Love them both, but you gotta paint them, you will make them look amazing!!Hope you are well my talented friend!!

Anonymous said...

I'd leave the cherubs as is and use as a candle holder, and paint the chair aqua, distress it, and recover the fabric on the chair in some modern retro black and white fabric. Good luck deciding. Cute stuff you have there. It's great that the chair was free!! Who in their right mind would throw out such a neat treasure?

Kathleen Grace said...

I often struggle with the paint or no paint question. I think we often find a piece appealing just the way it is, that's why we are drawn to it to begin with. Having said that, I have never regretted a fresh creamy finish on anything I have painted. I say paint them, you won't be sorry:>)

Karen said...

I am so glad I am not the only one who buys something with good intentions, and then changes my mind when I get it home. I have 2 GORGEOUS frames that I thought would be painted white before the garage door closed, but . . . they are just so pretty as is!
So, good luck with your decisions. The cherubs re gorgeous as is, but the chair, I think I would definitely paint. (I say that with a smile!)
Have a great day!

vicki archer said...

It looks to me like you are painting....xv

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

I think you will be happy with either....love the old chair - with blue & white ticking, it needs to be painted white and distressed. However, with different fabric, it could be freshened up with stain and a finish. There is no mistake either way - it is just personal preference where you are going to use it. Love the basket - such a pretty shape! I, too, am a sucker for baskets - love 'em! Linda