Home of The French Marketplace

La joie c'est le partage
{ the joy is in the sharing }

Saturday, November 12, 2011

To Market, to Market...Make a French Market Basket

A French market basket, who wouldn't want to have one?  I know I always have but they're quite pricey!
Never fear though, I found out how to make one of your very own.  

You see this basket?  I got it from Joann Fabric's.  It even comes with wheels!  A little bit of craft paint and a little bit of sewing is all you need to transform it.


Now, I didn't come up with this idea all on my own.

No, I found it on someone else's blog and when I saw it, I couldn't believe my eyes.  I was so excited to try it myself that I ran right out to JoAnn's with the kids in tow, to find this basket.  I had all of the paint and fabric at home so all I needed was the basket. 

I wasn't crazy about the green liner that came with the basket so I sewed a new one.  I just used a piece of leftover drop cloth that I had from another project and then made a ruffle for it.

So here it is again, as I found it at JoAnn's

and here she is with her new paint job, a ruffled liner and her wheels!
~ ~ ~
Now, for where I found this amazing tutorial...the fabulous Rosemary from Ozma of Odds!!  She is simply charming and she has a treasure trove of a blog too.  Rosemary has so many beautiful things that she shares with all of her readers and her tutorials are very easy to follow.  I'm not going to re-type the whole tutorial here, but if you go on over to her blog, you will find step by step instructions on how to make one of these baskets! 
I was so excited to find this tutorial!!
I can give you the info though, about the basket in case you would like to make one too.

It can be purchased at JoAnn Fabrics (make sure to take your 40% off coupon though)
here is a direct link to the basket...if you buy it online, it's on sale right now for $19.99
if you buy it in the store, it's full price so take your coupon!
Have fun and go see Rosemary!!

xo and God Bless,
Kathleen

9 comments:

June said...

Your market basket turned out beautifully Kathleen. I love that pleated ruffle in white.
I love Rosemary and all of her gorgeous creations. I love her etsy so much.
hugs from here...

Robyn @ ItsRobyn.com said...

I love it!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Fantastic. How fun is this. I love yours, you did a wonderful job on redoing it. Hugs, Marty

d e l i g h t said...

Yours is wonderful! The color of the basket is so nice and the pleated liner I love! Great job!

Unknown said...

...Kathleen!
your basket turned out fabulous too:)
i LOVE the color of these soooo much better than the bleached willow!! if i didn't know any better, i would have thought this was an authentic vintage one!
but only you and i know different...well...lol...and anyone else who is reading this!!
who would have thought that the original with the not-so-lovely green liner could look so fab?!
i have used mine all summer long...for picnics...flower gathering...out door markets...and you, are going to love using this!

xo, Rosemary

p.s. thank you for the linkback!

Blondie's Journal said...

Your sewing talents are just amazing!! Love, love, love the baskets!

XO,
Jane

Karen said...

Oh my goodness, I think I'm in love. That is gorgeous,its definitely on my to do list. I'm a new follower, love your blog and Rosemary's.

Carrie Garvin said...

Lovely! I would have never thought to do this- very talented and creative.

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Just love it!!! Hope you are keeping well...xo